THE KHANGESTION CHARGE WILL HURT PEOPLE, WITH WORSE TO COME…
On 25 Nov 2022, the London Mayor announced his decision to proceed with making the ULEZ zone London-wide:
● The decision is potentially bad news for.
Car owners, car club users and motorcyclists
Mobile businesses and professional drivers
Members of the public who rent a vehicle, hire a cab or enjoy a lift
Members of the public who have goods delivered or tradesmen call.
This includes many people and businesses who depend on older vehicles for work purposes, hospital appointments, etc.
● You have to dig deep in a technical consultation document to find the assumption that the Mayor will have full road pricing in place by 2026. Yes, charging everyone with a vehicle just for driving in Greater London. Getting thousands of surveillance cameras in is a step towards this.
● There is plenty of indicators that Transport for London’s consultation was biased and otherwise illegal. ULEZ expansion can be stopped – if the Mayor’s decision is quashed by a court. This can be done through a Judicial Review.
Four London councils have made the case that the decision was illegal as the Mayor did not use the correct powers and the consultation and its follow-up were not handled lawfully. Transport for London are gung-ho that it was all lawful.
There is also an independent crowd-funder for a Judicial Review, with an update on progress pending. ABD will be liaising with the driver taking this initiative over the possible opportunities. (For more on CrowdJustice appeal T&Cs. NB the screen below was from the initial stage).
ADDING INSULT TO INJURY … KHAN’S HYPOCRISY
Khan is a hypocrite - in his 2021 Manifesto (p33), he crowed:
“The Tories tried to force an extension to the Congestion Charge to the North and South Circulars….But I stood firm and stopped [it] from happening.”
‘’Clean Air Khan’ has also – repeatedly - let off lavish fireworks displays when it suited him, including 12,000 fireworks on New Year’s Eve 2022:
While telling everyone else to reduce their emissions, Khan and his team are quite happy to take international flights when it suits them. The Mayor has also been encouraging people out of their cars and onto “cleaner public transport” and to use the tube more - despite researchers’ recent report noting that particulate (PM) levels on the Underground are not just higher than London background levels, they are above World Health Organization (WHO) defined limits.
A MAYOR FOR FLEECING ALL LONDONERS?
● Is it ‘London’s toxic air’ or ‘London’s toxic Mayor’, please, Mr Khan? In the shorter term, he wants to justify increased taxes on poorer drivers on ‘air quality’ grounds. It’s funny that if Greater London’s air is so filthy (as he claims), why is he always urging people to walk and cycle in it?
● The suggestion that around 4,000 Londoners die a year as a result of air pollution is a bit of a try-on. Visit here for a rebuttal and here for more about other ‘air quality’ topics such as asthma.
● The Mayor’s consultation proposals don’t feature a proper cost-revenue analysis, which is a major omission. Surely Londoners have the right to know how much it will all cost (taxpayers’ money one way or another)? Also to know how much the Mayor will be making out of us (revenue)? Does he expect us to just rubber-stamp his hyped proposals?
● Mayor Khan has previously eyed the £500m of car tax (VED) Londoners pay to the Government every year, “If the Government refuses, I will ask TfL to consider other ways of raising income”. He has recently levied a charge of £20 on council tax bills for Transport for London, who are pushing for unpopular schemes like LTNs (Low Traffic Neighbourhoods) that force traffic onto main roads. They make drivers travel further, burning more fuel and increasing emissions.
SORRY, MR MAYOR …. It’s a case of KHAN’T PAY, WON’T PAY
Archive page for summer 2022 consultation campaign:
The Alliance of British Drivers is pleased to be part of the public
backlash against the Mayor’s money-raking proposals.
ABD is liaising with campaign networks in and out of London to
wield the technical and legal arguments against ULEZ.
Please help spread the word and - better still - actively support us in calling
for a fairer deal for drivers who already pay billions a year in taxes.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 07976-414913